Portugal church sex abuse study finds 512 alleged victims
A committee examining historic child sex abuse in the Portuguese Catholic Church says 512 alleged victims have come forward.
Senior church officials had previously claimed that only a handful of cases had occurred.
The Independent Committee for the Study of Child Abuse in the Catholic Church, set up by Portuguese bishops just over a year ago, looked into alleged cases from 1950 onward. The panel produced its final report Monday. Portuguese bishops are due to discuss the report next month.
The statute of limitations has expired on most of the alleged cases. Only 25 allegations were passed to prosecutors, the panel said.
The report came four years after Pope Francis gathered church leaders from around the world at the Vatican to address the sex abuse crisis in the church. That meeting was held more than 30 years after the scandal first erupted in Ireland and Australia and 20 years after it hit the United States.
Bishops and other Catholic superiors in many parts of Europe at the time continued to deny that clergy sex abuse existed or insisted on giving little weight to the problem.
Pedro Strecht, a psychiatrist who headed the panel in Portugal, said it estimates the true number of victims during the period is at least 4,415. He didn't explain how the extrapolation was made.
The panel is not publishing the names of the victims, the identities of the alleged abusers, or the places the abuses allegedly happened. However, it is to send to bishops by the end of the month a list of alleged abusers who are still active in the church.
The final report includes a separate – and confidential – annexe of all the names of church members reported to the committee that is being sent to the Portuguese Bishops Conference and to the police.
The Portuguese church hasn’t said whether it intends to pay compensation to any victims.
The report said that 77 per cent of the abusers were priests, with other perpetrators being linked to church institutions.
It said 48 per cent of those who came forward had spoken about the abuse for the first time. Most of the alleged victims were male, though 47 per cent were female, the report said.
It said there were places in Portugal, such as some seminaries and religious institutions, that were “real blackspots” for abuse.
The panel recommended that the statute of limitations on such crimes be extended to at least 30 years from the current 23 years.
- Purgatory in the Bible
- Pope’s new ruling on blessings for same-sex couples does not change Catholic teaching - bishop
- Sacred Mysteries: The starwright who bursts forth like the sun
- The Vatican's 'trial of the century,' a Pandora's box of unintended revelations, explained
- The pope says he wants to be buried in the Rome basilica, not in the Vatican
- A Black Jesus review – religious rites and refugees collide in Sicilian village
- Recordings show how the Mormon church protects itself from child sex abuse claims
- Pilgrims yearn to visit isolated peninsula where Catholic saints cared for Hawaii's leprosy patients
- In the US, Black survivors are nearly invisible in the Catholic clergy sexual abuse crisis
- Pope Francis cancels Cop28 trip to Dubai due to ill health
- A French bishop is accused of attempted rape in latest scandal to hit Catholic Church in France
- Dalai Lama apologises for asking child to suck his tongue
- Vatican on trial in UK for first time in history as British banker looks to clear his name
- Hermaphrodites Gynomorphs and Jesus-The Importance of Demons
- Hermaphrodites Gynomorphs and Jesus
- Pope updates Catholic Church rules for dealing with sexual abuse
- Pope Francis hints at end of 1,000-year-old celibacy rule after calling ban 'temporary'
- Who is responsible for the hatred against Jews in Barcelona? - Opinion
- Satanic Temple opens online abortion clinic named after Samuel Alito’s mother
- Portugal church sex abuse study finds 512 alleged victims
- Let There Be Light
- Plants that feel and Speak
- The Singing Forest
- The Singing Forest-2
- Using Essential Oils for Spiritual Connection
- Heaven Scent
- Plants that Feel and Speak-2
- Making the Spiritual Connection
- The Sanctity of Plants
- Essential Oils: The unseen Energies
- The Aroma Of Worship - Introduction
- The Aroma Of Worship-Foreward
- Methods Of Use
- Handling and Storage
- Spiritual Blending