Ramadan 2023: When is it and what does it celebrate?
The blessed month of Ramadan, a time of reflection, contemplation, and celebration for Muslims all over the world, is almost here.
The annual observance of this special month is regarded as one of the Five Pillars of Islam and commemorates Muhammad’s first revelation.
The Islamic calendar is based on lunar cycles, unlike our Gregorian calendar, so the exact dates of Ramadan change every year.
Here’s everything you need to know about this year’s Ramadan, including what the special occasion is all about and when it will be celebrated.
What is Ramadan?
Ramadan is held during the ninth month of the Islamic calendar and is a time for spiritual reflection, acts of charity, and spending time with loved ones.
When is Ramadan 2023?
As the Islamic calendar is based on the lunar cycle, Ramadan rotates by approximately 10 days each year.
This year, Ramadan begins on the evening of Wednesday, March 22, and concludes on Friday, April 21.
When is Eid al Fitr 2023?
Eid al-Fitr is a festival that marks the end of Ramadan.
This year, it is set to begin on the evening of Friday, April 21, and will last until the evening of Saturday, April 22.
What is Eid al-Adha and when does it start?
Eid al-Adha, also known as the Greater Eid, is regarded as the second-most important festival in the Muslim calendar.
Observed by Muslims around the world, it marks the culmination of the annual pilgrimage to Mecca and commemorates Abraham, who was willing to sacrifice his son in order to obey God, but was stopped by God who provided him with an animal to sacrifice instead.
To commemorate this, Muslims feast on an animal but will divide it into three parts. They give one part to the poor and those in need, one part to friends, and keep one part to have with their family.
This year, Eid al-Adha will be held between Wednesday, June 28 and Sunday, July 2.
- Pope updates Catholic Church rules for dealing with sexual abuse
- Pope Francis hints at end of 1,000-year-old celibacy rule after calling ban 'temporary'
- Who is responsible for the hatred against Jews in Barcelona? - Opinion
- Satanic Temple opens online abortion clinic named after Samuel Alito’s mother
- Portugal church sex abuse study finds 512 alleged victims
- Ramadan 2023: When is it and what does it celebrate?
- Pope lands in South Sudan to urge peace as fighting kills 27
- One million flock to Pope’s Congo Mass on day of peace and forgiveness
- Pope’s trip to Africa spotlights conflict and church’s future
- Seven people killed in ‘terror attack’ shooting at synagogue in Jerusalem
- Protests against burning of Koran held across Middle East
- ‘Church part of the problem’ in discrimination against Gypsy and Roma community
- Priest who 'died and went to hell' claims he heard 'demons singing pop songs'
- Messianic leader who mesmerised followers by staring at them charged with sex crimes
- How an anti-Semitic ‘fake news’ conspiracy drove mass murder in Franco’s Spain
- First Palestinian woman pastor in Holy Land ordained
- Church of England ‘to refuse to back change to allow same-sex marriages’
- Emanuela Orlandi vanished 40 years ago. Why is the Vatican just now opening an investigation?
- Euston gunman fired into church after funeral of cancer victim, 20, and her mother
- Church of England told to 'sort its own house out' before paying slavery reparations
- Let There Be Light
- Plants that feel and Speak
- The Singing Forest
- The Singing Forest-2
- Using Essential Oils for Spiritual Connection
- Heaven Scent
- Plants that Feel and Speak-2
- Making the Spiritual Connection
- The Sanctity of Plants
- Essential Oils: The unseen Energies
- The Aroma Of Worship - Introduction
- The Aroma Of Worship-Foreward
- Methods Of Use
- Handling and Storage
- Spiritual Blending