Pope marks Day of the Poor by hosting hundreds for lunch at Vatican
Pope Francis denounced the “sirens of populism” as he called for a renewed commitment to helping the poor, homeless and migrants amid Italy’s latest migration debate.
Francis celebrated the Catholic Church’s World Day of the Poor on Sunday by inviting hundreds of poor and homeless people and migrants into the Vatican for a special Mass and lunch.
He denounced the indifference the world shows them as well as the “prophets of doom” who fuel fear and conspiracies about them for personal gain.
“Let us not be enchanted by the sirens of populism, which exploit people’s real needs by facile and hasty solutions,” Francis said.
This year’s commemoration takes place as Italy once again is at the heart of a European debate over migration, with the far-right-led government of Giorgia Meloni going head-to-head with France over the fate of people rescued in the Mediterranean.
Italy kept four rescue boats at sea for days until finally allowing three to disembark last week and forcing France to take in the fourth.
The stand-off sparked a diplomatic row that resulted in France suspending its participation in a European redistribution programme and reinforcing its border crossings with Italy.
Francis lamented that the war in Ukraine is only adding to the plight of the poor, who are still reeling from the coronavirus pandemic, as well as from natural disasters and climate change.
“Today also, much more than in the past, many of our brothers and sisters, sorely tested and disheartened, migrate in search of hope, and many people experience insecurity due to the lack of employment or unjust and undignified working conditions,” he said.
To show concrete acts of solidarity, the Vatican invited some 1,300 people to lunch in the audience hall after the Mass.
In addition, free medical checks that had been halted due to Covid-19 were restarted this week in St Peter’s Square, providing people with check-ups, vaccines, blood tests, electrocardiograms as well as tests for hepatitis C, tuberculosis and HIV.
Reference: PA Media: By Nicole Winfield, Associated Press
- Pope’s trip to Africa spotlights conflict and church’s future
- Seven people killed in ‘terror attack’ shooting at synagogue in Jerusalem
- Protests against burning of Koran held across Middle East
- ‘Church part of the problem’ in discrimination against Gypsy and Roma community
- Priest who 'died and went to hell' claims he heard 'demons singing pop songs'
- Messianic leader who mesmerised followers by staring at them charged with sex crimes
- How an anti-Semitic ‘fake news’ conspiracy drove mass murder in Franco’s Spain
- First Palestinian woman pastor in Holy Land ordained
- Church of England ‘to refuse to back change to allow same-sex marriages’
- Emanuela Orlandi vanished 40 years ago. Why is the Vatican just now opening an investigation?
- Euston gunman fired into church after funeral of cancer victim, 20, and her mother
- Church of England told to 'sort its own house out' before paying slavery reparations
- Late Cardinal Pell unmasked as secret Vatican blogger on ‘catastrophic’ Pope Francis
- Pope Francis could be ousted in 'secret plan' by Vatican hardliners
- Pope warns Vatican staff an 'elegant demon' lurks among them
- When is Epiphany 2023? The date, meaning of Twelfth Night and traditions behind the feast day explained
- Putin orders ceasefire in Ukraine over Orthodox Christmas - Kremlin
- Archbishop of Canterbury condemns desecration of Christian graves in Jerusalem cemetery
- Pope Benedict to be entombed in triple coffin made of cypress, zinc and oak
- Anti-abortion priest who backed Donald Trump is defrocked by Vatican
- Let There Be Light
- Plants that feel and Speak
- The Singing Forest
- The Singing Forest-2
- Using Essential Oils for Spiritual Connection
- Heaven Scent
- Plants that Feel and Speak-2
- Making the Spiritual Connection
- The Sanctity of Plants
- The Aroma Of Worship - Introduction
- Essential Oils: The unseen Energies
- The Aroma Of Worship-Foreward
- Methods Of Use
- Handling and Storage
- Spiritual Blending