Religious TV channel Loveworld fined £25,000 for broadcasting Covid conspiracies
Religious TV channel Loveworld has been fined £25,000 for broadcasting unsubstantiated conspiracy theories about coronavirus.
It is the third time the channel has been found to have breached the rules of broadcasting watchdog Ofcom this year and Loveworld was previously also fined £125,000 in March.
Loveworld’s latest fine relates to two episodes of current affairs programme Full Disclosure which were broadcast on February 11 and 12.
During the shows presenters “made a number of unevidenced, materially misleading and potentially harmful statements about the coronavirus pandemic and vaccines”, according to Ofcom.
False claims made on the channel included that the coronavirus vaccine makes you feel as ill as the actual illness and that there are serious side-effects and medical complications that can result from the jabs.
Trials have shown the vaccines to be safe and effective.
© PA Archive Media stock
An Ofcom statement said: “Ofcom is clear that it is legitimate for broadcasters to discuss and scrutinise the Government’s public health response to the coronavirus pandemic – including the potential side-effects of vaccinations – and that it may be in the public interest to do so.
“However, Loveworld’s presentation of misleading claims without sufficient challenge or context risked causing serious potential harm to viewers, at a time when people were particularly likely to be seeking reliable information relating to the UK’s vaccination programme.”
Ofcom labelled the rule breaches “serious”.
A spokeswoman for the watchdog said: “Broadcasters have editorial freedom to debate the response to coronavirus – including the vaccination programme.
“However, unproven claims must be put into sufficient context, and our investigation found that these programmes contained harmful, unevidenced statements.
“We consider this a serious breach of our rules and have today sanctioned Loveworld by imposing a financial penalty of £25,000.”
Ofcom has previously said it is prioritising cases relating to coronavirus which could cause potential harm to viewers.
Loveworld is a religious television channel broadcast on satellite to a UK audience, from an Evangelical Christian denomination with a global network of churches.
Reference: Evening Standard: Tom Horton
- Warning dangerous dupe of Zamzam holy water could be on sale in Leicester
- What it's like to be an Orthodox Jew in the UK today
- Why is Friday the 13th considered unlucky?
- Sacked church charity worker awarded £8,000 after dispute over ‘priest's affair’
- Church elder who stole woman's £600,000 ordered to pay back just £1
- Pope approved secret €1m bid to free kidnapped nun, says disgraced cardinal
- Ramadan 2022: Thousands joined by mayor for Iftar in Trafalgar Square for last week of fasting
- Three Scientology defectors sue church leader David Miscavige
- Caste pervasive across Christian, Sikh, Buddhist and other faiths
- Vatican suspends Jerusalem meeting between pope, Russian patriarch
- French nun Sister Andre, 118, claims title of world's oldest person
- St George's Day 2022: He wasn't England's first patron saint and 8 other facts
- Sweden hit by fourth day of unrest over planned Quran burnings
- Pope condemns Russia for ‘cruel and senseless’ invasion of Ukraine in sermon on ‘Easter of War’
- Archbishop of Canterbury hits out at Government plan to send migrants to Rwanda
- Those in public life should act with integrity, Archbishop of York suggests
- Royal Maundy Service explained as Queen misses it for first time in 52 years
- Jerusalem clashes: More than 150 Palestinians wounded as Israeli police enter Temple Mount
- Historians are questioning if Jesus ever existed at all
- Christian Media Center CEO: Fewer pilgrims for Easter as terror spikes
- Let There Be Light
- Plants that feel and Speak
- The Singing Forest
- The Singing Forest-2
- Using Essential Oils for Spiritual Connection
- Heaven Scent
- Plants that Feel and Speak-2
- Making the Spiritual Connection
- The Sanctity of Plants
- The Aroma Of Worship - Introduction
- Essential Oils: The unseen Energies
- The Aroma Of Worship-Foreward
- Methods Of Use
- Handling and Storage
- Spiritual Blending