Edinburgh cathedral boss killed in 'freak' mountain biking accident
Andy Hilton, who managed St Mary’s Catholic Cathedral complex in York Place, Edinburgh for the last three years, reportedly suffered fatal head injuries as a result of a collision while he was mountain biking on Wednesday, August 4.
In a St Mary’s newsletter issued at the weekend, it was stated: “With deep sadness I have to communicate to you our Cathedral Complex Manager, Andy Hilton, died suddenly on Wednesday having been involved in a freak mountain biking accident.
"We do not know many details except that he was involved in a head on collision, suffered massive injuries to his head and died instantly. Andy had been working here at the Cathedral for almost three years and had become ‘one of the family’.
“He was not a Catholic – but he seemed to enjoy working here with us and he achieved an enormous amount for the Cathedral in his time here. I know that you will keep them very much in your prayers.
"I respected him and enjoyed working with him. We will all miss him. May he rest in peace.”
Mr Hilton, who is survived by a daughter, was said to be a “deeply good and decent man” who was “scrupulously honest and genuinely kind.”
Back in February Mr Hilton was busy dealing with a major mechanical breakdown in the cathedral involving the motors of the winching system to lower the chandeliers.
He appealed for people to support the expensive repair with donations and had been looking into alternative mechanical systems.
- Pelosi attacks San Francisco archbishop for calling abortion a ‘child sacrifice’
- A 'moral failing': Report finds child sexual abuse prevalent in institutions across major UK religions
- Catholic priest murdered in western France by suspected cathedral arsonist
- Edinburgh cathedral boss killed in 'freak' mountain biking accident
- Archbishop of York says English people ‘left behind’ by ‘metropolitan elites’ in London
- Italian police investigate after three bullets sent in post to Pope Francis
- Vandals desecrate ancient church days after £150,000 restoration
- A playboy, a femme fatal spy and a powerful cardinal: Vatican's biggest corruption trial begins
- Churches burned down as anger over 'cultural genocide' of indigenous children sweeps Canada
- Dalai Lama’s inner circle listed in Pegasus project data
- Thai temple says construction of giant Buddha statue visible across Bangkok nearly complete
- Pope Francis leaves hospital and returns to Vatican after colon surgery
- Pope, from hospital, sends condolences to Haiti after attack
- Bishops criticised over heavenly lifestyles while parishes are penniless
- Coleen Rooney's sons make their first Holy Communion and christening
- Pope Francis in hospital for surgery
- What did the Pope know about the Holocaust? | DW Documentary
- Cardinal and nine others face Vatican corruption charges over London property deal
- The Archangel Raphael
- A Simple Prayer of Hope
- Let There Be Light
- Plants that feel and Speak
- The Singing Forest
- The Singing Forest-2
- Using Essential Oils for Spiritual Connection
- Heaven Scent
- Plants that Feel and Speak-2
- Making the Spiritual Connection
- The Sanctity of Plants
- The Aroma Of Worship - Introduction
- Essential Oils: The unseen Energies
- The Aroma Of Worship-Foreward
- Methods Of Use
- Handling and Storage
- Spiritual Blending