Pope Francis leaves hospital and returns to Vatican after colon surgery
The pope has been discharged from a Rome hospital after he underwent colon surgery.
Pope Francis returned home to the Vatican on Wednesday, 10 days after the procedure.
The 84-year-old had half of his colon removed on July 4 due to a severe narrowing of his large intestine.
It was his first major surgery since he became pope in 2013.
The procedure was planned for when the pope’s audiences are suspended and he would normally be taking time off.
Francis thanked doctors for the success of the operation and offered prayers to others during a visit to Santa Maria Maggiore basilica on his way home, the Vatican said.
The pope traditionally visits the basilica after returning from a foreign trip to pray before an icon of the Virgin Mary.
He sat in the passenger seat of the Ford car which left Rome's Gemelli Polyclinic at about 10.45am.
The car went in a side entrance of the Vatican about an hour later following the detour to the basilica.
The Ford stopped before reaching the gate and Francis got out with the help of a bodyguard.
Vatican spokesman, Matteo Bruni, confirmed Francis' return from the hospital and visit to the basilica.
He said the pope had "expressed his gratitude for the success of his surgery and offered a prayer for all the sick, especially those he had met during his stay in hospital”.
Reference: Evening Standard:
- Hermaphrodites Gynomorphs and Jesus-The Importance of Demons
- Hermaphrodites Gynomorphs and Jesus
- Pope updates Catholic Church rules for dealing with sexual abuse
- Pope Francis hints at end of 1,000-year-old celibacy rule after calling ban 'temporary'
- Who is responsible for the hatred against Jews in Barcelona? - Opinion
- Satanic Temple opens online abortion clinic named after Samuel Alito’s mother
- Portugal church sex abuse study finds 512 alleged victims
- Ramadan 2023: When is it and what does it celebrate?
- Pope lands in South Sudan to urge peace as fighting kills 27
- One million flock to Pope’s Congo Mass on day of peace and forgiveness
- Pope’s trip to Africa spotlights conflict and church’s future
- Seven people killed in ‘terror attack’ shooting at synagogue in Jerusalem
- Protests against burning of Koran held across Middle East
- ‘Church part of the problem’ in discrimination against Gypsy and Roma community
- Priest who 'died and went to hell' claims he heard 'demons singing pop songs'
- Messianic leader who mesmerised followers by staring at them charged with sex crimes
- How an anti-Semitic ‘fake news’ conspiracy drove mass murder in Franco’s Spain
- First Palestinian woman pastor in Holy Land ordained
- Church of England ‘to refuse to back change to allow same-sex marriages’
- Emanuela Orlandi vanished 40 years ago. Why is the Vatican just now opening an investigation?
- Let There Be Light
- Plants that feel and Speak
- The Singing Forest
- The Singing Forest-2
- Using Essential Oils for Spiritual Connection
- Heaven Scent
- Plants that Feel and Speak-2
- Making the Spiritual Connection
- The Sanctity of Plants
- Essential Oils: The unseen Energies
- The Aroma Of Worship - Introduction
- The Aroma Of Worship-Foreward
- Methods Of Use
- Handling and Storage
- Spiritual Blending