Pope Francis leaves hospital and returns to Vatican after colon surgery
The pope has been discharged from a Rome hospital after he underwent colon surgery.
Pope Francis returned home to the Vatican on Wednesday, 10 days after the procedure.
The 84-year-old had half of his colon removed on July 4 due to a severe narrowing of his large intestine.
It was his first major surgery since he became pope in 2013.
The procedure was planned for when the pope’s audiences are suspended and he would normally be taking time off.
Francis thanked doctors for the success of the operation and offered prayers to others during a visit to Santa Maria Maggiore basilica on his way home, the Vatican said.
The pope traditionally visits the basilica after returning from a foreign trip to pray before an icon of the Virgin Mary.
He sat in the passenger seat of the Ford car which left Rome's Gemelli Polyclinic at about 10.45am.
The car went in a side entrance of the Vatican about an hour later following the detour to the basilica.
The Ford stopped before reaching the gate and Francis got out with the help of a bodyguard.
Vatican spokesman, Matteo Bruni, confirmed Francis' return from the hospital and visit to the basilica.
He said the pope had "expressed his gratitude for the success of his surgery and offered a prayer for all the sick, especially those he had met during his stay in hospital”.
Reference: Evening Standard:
- Pelosi attacks San Francisco archbishop for calling abortion a ‘child sacrifice’
- A 'moral failing': Report finds child sexual abuse prevalent in institutions across major UK religions
- Catholic priest murdered in western France by suspected cathedral arsonist
- Edinburgh cathedral boss killed in 'freak' mountain biking accident
- Archbishop of York says English people ‘left behind’ by ‘metropolitan elites’ in London
- Italian police investigate after three bullets sent in post to Pope Francis
- Vandals desecrate ancient church days after £150,000 restoration
- A playboy, a femme fatal spy and a powerful cardinal: Vatican's biggest corruption trial begins
- Churches burned down as anger over 'cultural genocide' of indigenous children sweeps Canada
- Dalai Lama’s inner circle listed in Pegasus project data
- Thai temple says construction of giant Buddha statue visible across Bangkok nearly complete
- Pope Francis leaves hospital and returns to Vatican after colon surgery
- Pope, from hospital, sends condolences to Haiti after attack
- Bishops criticised over heavenly lifestyles while parishes are penniless
- Coleen Rooney's sons make their first Holy Communion and christening
- Pope Francis in hospital for surgery
- What did the Pope know about the Holocaust? | DW Documentary
- Cardinal and nine others face Vatican corruption charges over London property deal
- The Archangel Raphael
- A Simple Prayer of Hope
- Let There Be Light
- Plants that feel and Speak
- The Singing Forest
- The Singing Forest-2
- Using Essential Oils for Spiritual Connection
- Heaven Scent
- Plants that Feel and Speak-2
- Making the Spiritual Connection
- The Sanctity of Plants
- The Aroma Of Worship - Introduction
- Essential Oils: The unseen Energies
- The Aroma Of Worship-Foreward
- Methods Of Use
- Handling and Storage
- Spiritual Blending