Murderer who claimed Scientology led him to butcher sister-in-law and boyfriend to death is killed in prison
A convicted murderer who claimed Scientology led him to butcher his sister-in-law and her boyfriend to death with a hatchet, pour acid on their bodies and set fire to their home has been killed in prison.
Kenneth Thompson was found after an “attack” in his assigned housing unit in the Arizona State Prison Complex Eyman, in Florence, Arizona, on Wednesday, according to the Arizona Department of Corrections, Rehabilitation and Reentry.
Officials said lifesaving measures were administered to the 38-year-old but he was pronounced dead just after 1pm.
His death is now under investigation as an apparent homicide with two other inmates currently suspected of carrying out the attack, reported AZCentral.
The identities of the suspects were not revealed and no further details were given about
Thompson had been on death row in Arizona since 2019 when he was convicted of first-degree murder, burglary, arson, criminal damage and tampering with evidence in the brutal double murder of his sister-in-law and her boyfriend back in 2012.
Thompson travelled from his home in Missouri to Arizona and murdered Penelope Edwards and
Troy Dunn, hacking them to death with a hatchet and a knife.
He then poured acid on their corpses, set their home on fire and fled the scene.
At his trial, Thompson claimed he carried out the attack to try to rescue Ms Edwards’
children after learning that one of the children was being seen by a psychiatrist.
Arizona Department of Corrections: Kenneth Thompson hacked his sister-in-law and her boyfriend to death, poured acid on their bodies and set fire to their home
He said he had been raised as a Scientologist and so believed psychiatry was “evil and a scam”.
He was not practising Scientology at the time of the attack.
Thompson’s wife had previously cared for the children while Ms Edwards was in prison and, after they returned to her care on leaving prison, he grew increasingly concerned for them.
He claimed he had planned to travel to her home to convince her to let him care for the children and only had a hatchet with him because he was planning a camping trip.
But they got into an argument and things turned violent, he claimed.
The victims’ charred bodies were found inside the home after neighbours reported a fire.
Thompson was captured by police driving along an interstate headed back to his home.
A bloodied knife and hatchet with human hair on it was found inside his vehicle.
Reference: Independent: Rachel Sharp
- Warning dangerous dupe of Zamzam holy water could be on sale in Leicester
- What it's like to be an Orthodox Jew in the UK today
- Why is Friday the 13th considered unlucky?
- Sacked church charity worker awarded £8,000 after dispute over ‘priest's affair’
- Church elder who stole woman's £600,000 ordered to pay back just £1
- Pope approved secret €1m bid to free kidnapped nun, says disgraced cardinal
- Ramadan 2022: Thousands joined by mayor for Iftar in Trafalgar Square for last week of fasting
- Three Scientology defectors sue church leader David Miscavige
- Caste pervasive across Christian, Sikh, Buddhist and other faiths
- Vatican suspends Jerusalem meeting between pope, Russian patriarch
- French nun Sister Andre, 118, claims title of world's oldest person
- St George's Day 2022: He wasn't England's first patron saint and 8 other facts
- Sweden hit by fourth day of unrest over planned Quran burnings
- Pope condemns Russia for ‘cruel and senseless’ invasion of Ukraine in sermon on ‘Easter of War’
- Archbishop of Canterbury hits out at Government plan to send migrants to Rwanda
- Those in public life should act with integrity, Archbishop of York suggests
- Royal Maundy Service explained as Queen misses it for first time in 52 years
- Jerusalem clashes: More than 150 Palestinians wounded as Israeli police enter Temple Mount
- Historians are questioning if Jesus ever existed at all
- Christian Media Center CEO: Fewer pilgrims for Easter as terror spikes
- Let There Be Light
- Plants that feel and Speak
- The Singing Forest
- The Singing Forest-2
- Using Essential Oils for Spiritual Connection
- Heaven Scent
- Plants that Feel and Speak-2
- Making the Spiritual Connection
- The Sanctity of Plants
- The Aroma Of Worship - Introduction
- Essential Oils: The unseen Energies
- The Aroma Of Worship-Foreward
- Methods Of Use
- Handling and Storage
- Spiritual Blending