Pope Francis in hospital for surgery
is in hospital in Rome undergoing surgery on his colon, the Vatican has said.
The 84-year-old pontiff was admitted for a scheduled surgery after suffering from a symptomatic diverticular stenosis of the colon, said spokesperson Matteo Bruni.
Mr Bruni said the surgery would take place later on Sunday and that a statement would be issued afterwards.
Diverticulitis is an inflammation caused by the development of small bulges in the lining of the large intestine. Although most cases are asymptomatic, the condition can cause pain in the lower tummy.
The news came just hours after the Pope attended the traditional Sunday Angelus prayer in St. Peter’s Square in the Vatican and told churchgoers he would be going to Hungary and Slovakia in September.
The Holy See press office said in a statement: “This afternoon his Holiness Pope Francis went to the Gemelli hospital - Rome - for a scheduled surgical intervention for a symptomatic stenotic diverticulitis. Surgery will be carried out by professor Sergio Alfieri. At the end of the surgery a medical bulletin will be issued.”
It is the first time that the Pope has been admitted to hospital since his appointment in 2013. He is considered to be in generally good health but had part of one lung removed as a young man.
He also suffers sciatica, occasionally having painful bouts of the condition that involves a nerve affecting the lower back and leg.
Reference: Independent: Leonie Chao-Fong
- Pelosi attacks San Francisco archbishop for calling abortion a ‘child sacrifice’
- A 'moral failing': Report finds child sexual abuse prevalent in institutions across major UK religions
- Catholic priest murdered in western France by suspected cathedral arsonist
- Edinburgh cathedral boss killed in 'freak' mountain biking accident
- Archbishop of York says English people ‘left behind’ by ‘metropolitan elites’ in London
- Italian police investigate after three bullets sent in post to Pope Francis
- Vandals desecrate ancient church days after £150,000 restoration
- A playboy, a femme fatal spy and a powerful cardinal: Vatican's biggest corruption trial begins
- Churches burned down as anger over 'cultural genocide' of indigenous children sweeps Canada
- Dalai Lama’s inner circle listed in Pegasus project data
- Thai temple says construction of giant Buddha statue visible across Bangkok nearly complete
- Pope Francis leaves hospital and returns to Vatican after colon surgery
- Pope, from hospital, sends condolences to Haiti after attack
- Bishops criticised over heavenly lifestyles while parishes are penniless
- Coleen Rooney's sons make their first Holy Communion and christening
- Pope Francis in hospital for surgery
- What did the Pope know about the Holocaust? | DW Documentary
- Cardinal and nine others face Vatican corruption charges over London property deal
- The Archangel Raphael
- A Simple Prayer of Hope
- Let There Be Light
- Plants that feel and Speak
- The Singing Forest
- The Singing Forest-2
- Using Essential Oils for Spiritual Connection
- Heaven Scent
- Plants that Feel and Speak-2
- Making the Spiritual Connection
- The Sanctity of Plants
- The Aroma Of Worship - Introduction
- Essential Oils: The unseen Energies
- The Aroma Of Worship-Foreward
- Methods Of Use
- Handling and Storage
- Spiritual Blending