Pope Francis in hospital for surgery
is in hospital in Rome undergoing surgery on his colon, the Vatican has said.
The 84-year-old pontiff was admitted for a scheduled surgery after suffering from a symptomatic diverticular stenosis of the colon, said spokesperson Matteo Bruni.
Mr Bruni said the surgery would take place later on Sunday and that a statement would be issued afterwards.
Diverticulitis is an inflammation caused by the development of small bulges in the lining of the large intestine. Although most cases are asymptomatic, the condition can cause pain in the lower tummy.
The news came just hours after the Pope attended the traditional Sunday Angelus prayer in St. Peter’s Square in the Vatican and told churchgoers he would be going to Hungary and Slovakia in September.
The Holy See press office said in a statement: “This afternoon his Holiness Pope Francis went to the Gemelli hospital - Rome - for a scheduled surgical intervention for a symptomatic stenotic diverticulitis. Surgery will be carried out by professor Sergio Alfieri. At the end of the surgery a medical bulletin will be issued.”
It is the first time that the Pope has been admitted to hospital since his appointment in 2013. He is considered to be in generally good health but had part of one lung removed as a young man.
He also suffers sciatica, occasionally having painful bouts of the condition that involves a nerve affecting the lower back and leg.
Reference: Independent: Leonie Chao-Fong
- Karnataka: ‘Jailed seer sexually assaulted minors for over a decade’
- 'Heartbroken' Hindu and Muslim leaders call to end 'violence' in Leicester
- Three killed in 'anti-hijab' protests in Iran after death of young woman after arrest
- Scots woman raped by priest in children's home begs for help from government compensation scheme
- Iranian woman dies after beating by ‘morality police’ for not wearing headscarf
- King Charles tells religious leaders at Buckingham Palace: 'I will protect the space for faith'
- John Paul I, briefly serving, 'smiling" pope, is beatified
- What is the future of Russian Jewry? Rabbis convene emergency conference
- Kabul: 21 killed and dozens injured in ‘suicide attack’ on mosque in Afghan capital
- Top Taliban cleric killed in blast triggered by explosives in artificial leg
- Prominent Canadian cardinal once considered strong candidate for pope accused of sexual assault
- Influential Indian seer accused of raping minor girls arrested after widespread outrage
- ‘Satan on the way to Hell’: Iran’s media glories in attack on Salman Rushdie
- Bitter row over Anglican ‘motion’ to reject gay marriage
- Justin Welby forced to allow Anglican bishops to reject statement on sexuality
- Royal Family: Prince Charles' holidays to a remote mountain in Greece where he lives like a monk but Camilla isn't allowed to visit
- Pope to begin ‘penitential pilgrimage’ in Canada to apologise to Native peoples
- Prince Charles: Embed religious freedom in school culture or risk ‘totalitarian society’
- Parshat Korach: I have been two wives
- New documentary gives ‘Hallelujah’ back to Leonard Cohen, and to Judaism
- Let There Be Light
- Plants that feel and Speak
- The Singing Forest
- The Singing Forest-2
- Using Essential Oils for Spiritual Connection
- Heaven Scent
- Plants that Feel and Speak-2
- Making the Spiritual Connection
- The Sanctity of Plants
- The Aroma Of Worship - Introduction
- Essential Oils: The unseen Energies
- The Aroma Of Worship-Foreward
- Methods Of Use
- Handling and Storage
- Spiritual Blending