Pope Francis in hospital for surgery
is in hospital in Rome undergoing surgery on his colon, the Vatican has said.
The 84-year-old pontiff was admitted for a scheduled surgery after suffering from a symptomatic diverticular stenosis of the colon, said spokesperson Matteo Bruni.
Mr Bruni said the surgery would take place later on Sunday and that a statement would be issued afterwards.
Diverticulitis is an inflammation caused by the development of small bulges in the lining of the large intestine. Although most cases are asymptomatic, the condition can cause pain in the lower tummy.
The news came just hours after the Pope attended the traditional Sunday Angelus prayer in St. Peter’s Square in the Vatican and told churchgoers he would be going to Hungary and Slovakia in September.
The Holy See press office said in a statement: “This afternoon his Holiness Pope Francis went to the Gemelli hospital - Rome - for a scheduled surgical intervention for a symptomatic stenotic diverticulitis. Surgery will be carried out by professor Sergio Alfieri. At the end of the surgery a medical bulletin will be issued.”
It is the first time that the Pope has been admitted to hospital since his appointment in 2013. He is considered to be in generally good health but had part of one lung removed as a young man.
He also suffers sciatica, occasionally having painful bouts of the condition that involves a nerve affecting the lower back and leg.
Reference: Independent: Leonie Chao-Fong
- FBI: Polygamous leader had 20 wives, many of them minors
- Protests erupt after Indonesia bans sex outside marriage
- Ukraine searches Orthodox Church premises for pro-Russian material
- Beyond beliefs: does religious faith lead to a happier, healthier life?
- Thai Buddhist temple runs out of monks after all are dismissed for failing DRUG TESTS
- Asian faiths try to save swastika symbol corrupted by Hitler
- Sacred Mysteries: The structural honesty of the Last of the Goths
- ‘Shame!’: Tourist pelted with water by angry mob after climbing sacred Mayan temple
- Pope compares Russia's war in Ukraine to 1930s famine inflicted by Stalin
- Pope appoints Archbishop Claudio Gugerotti prefect of the office for the Oriental Churches
- Pope sacks leadership of worldwide Catholic charity, names commissioner
- Clinging to ancient faith, India tribes seek religion status
- Turkish ‘cult leader’ Oktar sentenced to 8,658 years in prison
- Gay couple who were turned away by 31 churches finally have dream wedding
- Bill to protect equal marriage clears hurdle in US Senate with support from dozen Republicans
- Mormon church voices support for same-sex marriage law
- Religious leaders join world-first inter-faith ceremony on climate change
- Pope marks Day of the Poor by hosting hundreds for lunch at Vatican
- Praying the rosary: Understanding the tradition that helps Catholics meditate on Jesus and Mother Mary
- What is Gurpurab? Sikhs celebrate Guru Nanak Jayanti
- Let There Be Light
- Plants that feel and Speak
- The Singing Forest
- The Singing Forest-2
- Using Essential Oils for Spiritual Connection
- Heaven Scent
- Plants that Feel and Speak-2
- Making the Spiritual Connection
- The Sanctity of Plants
- The Aroma Of Worship - Introduction
- Essential Oils: The unseen Energies
- The Aroma Of Worship-Foreward
- Methods Of Use
- Handling and Storage
- Spiritual Blending